This page provides information for Utah license requirements including how to apply for a new license, renew an existing one, reactivate an expired license and Utah license reciprocity for when you need to transfer a license to this state or out of state. If available, we provide other useful information such as cosmetology school hours requirements, how to apply for additional license for professions like manicurists, nail technicians, instructors etc. If you did not find the answer you were looking for on this page or if you have questions or issues pertaining to cosmetology, then we recommend you contact the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.

Utah Cosmetology License Verification

If you need to verify a license for a salon or person, then you can do so by visiting the Utah Board of Cosmetology license verification website. From there you can search for the person or business and see if there are any disciplinary actions on record. This will allow you to make an informed decision about the person and or business providing your service.

Applying for a Utah License

Below are links to apply for a license in Utah.

In person or via express delivery:
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
Heber M Wells Building, 1st Floor Lobby
160 E 300 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

US Postal Service:
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
PO BOX 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741

Renew a Utah License

Licenses expire on September 30 of odd years. At least 60 days prior to the expiration date of a license, DOPL will mail a renewal notice to the licensee's address of record as provided to DOPL by the individual licensee. (Failure to notify DOPL of an address change could prevent a licensee from timely receiving renewal notification and other important correspondence from DOPL.)

Renewal Fees
  • Apprentice $20
  • Barber $52
  • Cosmetologist/Barber $52
  • Electrologist $32
  • Esthetician $52
  • Master Esthetician $68
  • Nail Technician $52
  • School $110

Instructor license will automatically be renewed with basic license renewal. Below are links to renew a license in Utah.

Updating Name/Address on Utah License

Legal Name Change

If your legal name has changed, you must verify the change by submitting a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, driver's license, or social security card to the Division. If you desire a reprint of your license reflecting the name change, you must also submit a $10 reprint fee with the request.

Fax: 801-530-6511
Mail: PO Box 146741, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741

Change of Address

You may update your address online in the eGov system.

Utah Cosmetology School Hours

Type Requirements
Cosmetologist License 1600 Hours Or 2500 Hours Apprenticeship
Barber License 1000 Hours Or 1250 Hours Apprenticeship
Esthetician License 600 Hours Or 800 Hours Apprenticeship (at Least 5 Months)
Nail Technician License 300 Hours Or 375 Hours Apprenticeship (at Least 3 Months)
Electrologist License 600 Hours
Cosmetology & Barber Instructor License Cosmetology License + 1000 Hours Teacher Training, Or 3000 Hours Work Experience
Massage Therapist License 600 Hours
I am already licensed in another state. How can I apply for a license in Utah?

Contact your current state licensing agency and request a verification of license be sent directly to the Division. Download and complete the application and submit it for review and processing with the required fees. Applicants must meet the educational or the experience requirement and the examination requirements. Applications cannot be completed without submital of verification.

What Cosmetology, Barber, Esthetic, Nail Technician and Electrology examinations does the State of Utah accept?

National Interstate Council State Boards (NIC) examinations that have been passed with a score of 75% or greater, within one year prior to the date of the application.


Any substantially equivalent theory, practical or instructor examination approved by the licensing authoriy of any other state wih a passing score of 75% or greater.

Can I fax in my application or supporting documents?

You must submit all documents by mail or in person (unless otherwise directed by the Division) and must be accompanied by payment.

What if I have a Cosmetology license in another country?

You must verify your hours of training through one of the approved credentialing companies listed in the application. Only they can verify the hours of training. The supporting documentation must be sent directly to the credentialing company. The application and its fees should be sent to the Division.